Thursday, March 13, 2014

Cycling Deaths: What can we learn?

I mourn with the friends and family of Bryan Byrge and John Coons.  They were killed recently during their morning commute.  Here is the story on KSL.   I also feel sorrow for the driver of the truck.  This is a tragic accident and my heart goes out to all those involved.

If we learn nothing from the past, then we are destined to repeat it.  It is unfortunate that two cyclists had to die to remind me to do these things:

  • Be visible: Wear reflective material during low light.  Wear high visibility clothing during the day.  Add a flashing tail light and a LED head light to your bike if you plan to ride before sun-up or after sun-down. 
  • Ride like you are invisible:  Some cyclists think this means ride like they are invincible.  It is not the same.  Always assume the driver can't see you.  I assume that every driver falls on a scale that has the two extremes of "I don't care if I kill you" and "I want to kill you".  If you assume that every driver wants you dead, then it changes how your ride.  Now I'm not suggesting you ride paranoid, just cautiously.   
  • Be predictable:  Over communicate to drivers by giving distinct and visible hand signals.  Be polite, but ride with confidence and predictability.   Obey the traffic laws.
  • Avoid complacency:  The longer you ride, the easier it is to get complacent.  Stay sharp.  Pay attention.  Use all of your senses.  
Hopefully the deaths of Bryan and John, will help remind the rest of us to ride safely and avoid a future accident.  


No comments:

Post a Comment