Saturday, March 1, 2014

Belt Drive Folder?

I have 4 bikes in the stable, so I really don't need another one.  However,  I continue to have this fascination with three types of bikes.  Folders, single speeds and belt driven bikes.  Unfortunately, I continue to hit a brick wall when I try to find one like I want.

Let's start off with Bike Friday.   I love what they are doing up there in Oregon.  They make belt drive folding bikes that have great reviews.  My only problem is that they are pricey.  Yes, I know you pay for what you get, but when it is bike #5 it is hard to shell out 2 grand for a bike that is more of a curiosity than transportation. 

Tern makes some nice folding bikes.  However, there is not a belt drive in the bunch.  

Brompton has an almost cult like following, but again, they are not into belt drives.  

So, I have decided to look at the low price folding bike leader, Dahon.  The Mu Uno is showing some promise.  Check out this video.  Not that it is a great bike with great components, but the price is right considering I'll be making significant modifications to the bike.   The other good news is that the frame does not have a chain stay, so there is no issue with getting the belt drive through the frame.   

Here is a list of modifications I would make:
- Remove the front brake to give it a nice clean look
- Replace the handlebars with bullhorn bars
- Put on a tan Brooks B-17 saddle with matching bar tape.  
- Eventually upgrade the wheels.  

Next step?  Find some place to buy one.  I may have to go on-line.  Folders are not popular or even existent in Utah.    

1 comment:

  1. What would be the purpose of a folding bike? Space issue at work? Two grand is a chunk of change to drop on a bike that gets you to and from work when you might have a bike in the garage that can do that for you. Is 2k for the base model and then more $ for uogrades?

    ReplyDelete