Sunday, January 15, 2012

Saddle Sores

This is not a very pleasant topic, but one that certainly needs addressed.   Particularly since many of us have been off the bike a while.   As we get back into riding, there are sure to be a few tender spots until we get the sitting area toughened up a bit.  

I think we all know how to prevent saddle sores, but a quick review may be in order.  
- Wear good quality cycling shorts.  Bib shorts tend to fit better and work better because they shift less during riding.  It is the friction that causes the irritation and chaffing.  
- Don't sit around in your shorts after the ride.   The salt starts to dry and form crystals that irritate the skin.  Also, unpleasant things start to grow in warm wet places. 
- Use a good quality chamois cream.  I have tried several brands and they all seem to work well.  There are plenty of reviews out there, so do some research and find the brand you like. 
- Ride with the right saddle.  When I started cycling I used the stock seat for a while.  I quickly learned it was a mistake.  Unfortunately almost everyone is going to need to fork out the bucks to get a good saddle.  Again, there is plenty of information out there to help you choose a saddle that is right for you. 

What if you get saddle sores, then what? 
I have tried several things, but the best remedy that I have found is Maximum Strength Desitin.  Hey, if it works for babies with sore butts, then why not?  Desitin works well, but I'm sure most any ointment with zinc oxide would work.   My experience has been that the sores start to heal up within 24 hours.  Keep the area clean and apply the Desitin often.   Good luck and happy riding.  






No comments:

Post a Comment