Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Three E's

In the May 2011 issue of Cycling Utah magazine there was a great article in the commuter column by Lou Melini.  This column is one of my favorite columns in the magazine.  He did an interview with some members of the Bonneville Cycling Club (BCC). In the article Norma Blubaugh said, "When the guys at work asked why I started riding a bike instead of driving, my short clever answer was, 'The three E's: Economy, Ecology, and Energy."

Here are some of my thoughts in relation to the Three E's as they apply to my bike commuting.

Economy: Is this really saving me money?  My commute is about 19 miles round trip.  If I drove my 16 year old pickup to work every day, it would cost me about $5 a day to get back and forth to work.  This doesn't count maintenance.   In the summer I commute just about every day, but in the winter there are some weeks that it is only once or twice.  Let's just say that I average 3 times a week for 50 weeks.  That's 150 commutes at $5 saved each time, so I'm saving $450 a year.  My commuter bike (Surly LHT) cost about 3 times that much to purchase and get set up with racks, panniers, lights and accessories.  So, I'm not really saving any money until I have been commuting for three years on the Surly.  I'm just coming up on a year, so I've got two more years to go before E #1 has any impact on my pocket book.

Ecology: Don't get me wrong.  I'm all about protecting the environment and saving the planet, but realistically I have about as much chance of making any impact on global warming (if there is such a thing) by riding my bike to work as I would by trying to raise the level of the Pacific ocean by spitting in the Bear River.  In the big scheme of things, I am really not making any impact.  There are too many people and too many cars for my measly reduction in fossil fuel usage to make any difference to the Banded Hair Wallaby in Australia.  I may feel better about myself, but that's about it.

Energy: Based on the article, she was referring to her own energy level, alertness, and fitness benefits.  I think of the third E more as Exercise.  For me, this is really the only sound reason to commute on a bike.  The other two E's can help me feel better about myself, but this third E makes me feel better.  The real benefits to me are the fresh air, the time to think, and the health benefits of regular exercise including helping to keep my weight under control.  

For me, the first two E's don't really mean much.  I commute for purely selfish reasons.  I'm sure there are those that pass me on my way to work (hopefully giving me 3') and think, "There goes some environmental wacko who thinks he is saving the planet".   Now you know, I'm not one.   The rest of you can ride your bike to work and tout that you are saving the Wallaby, but I'm riding so I can eat a hamburger for lunch.

Ride on!

Here is a link to the full article.
May 2011 Issue of Cycling Utah

2 comments:

  1. Layne, I'd like to comment on your assesment of the 3 E's, and add a fourth "E": Example.

    1. Economy: I started out on a garage sale bike and second hand gear, so my startup costs were recouped within less than a year of regular bicycle commuting. I then used the cash savings to upgrade for safety and comfort.

    2. Ecology: I agree, my 5-10 mile daily bike ride isn't saving any wallabies. I do believe it helps preserve the air quality in my local community, which is occasionally plagued by some of the worst inversions in the country due to our geography and populations of diesel fueled vehicles + livestock.

    3. Energy: Yes, this is what really keeps me going. It is healthy self interest.

    4. Example: This is the 4th "E", and perhaps the most compelling. If my example inspires others to change their habits, then our combined efforts can have a measurable effect on our air quality and on the overall heath of our community. That is the real payoff.

    See you on the road!

    Norma Blubaugh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layne, I'd like to add another "E" to my original three: Example. I know there are people who have left their cars at home and tried bicycle commuting because they saw other people doing it successfully, for their own reasons. Exercise and Eating are good ones. There are many good reasons that begin with other letters of the alphabet. Should we ever cross paths, the burgers are on me. Happy Cycling!

    ReplyDelete